From Hilversum to Stadskanaal
Last week Charlotte and René made a flight to the north-east of the Netherlands. There we also passed the light aircraft airfield Stadskanaal (trip report).
After the Philips electronics company opened a factory in Stadskanaal in 1955, the company received a permit to open its own aerodrome – Aerodrome Onstwedde – in Stadskanaal in 1962. Following the decline of Philips in Stadskanaal, the municipality took over the airport in 1977, and over time it became an ULV/MLA-only airfield.
07 MAR 2013
EHST — STADSKANAAL
|7||Types of traffic permitted (IFR/VFR)||VFR|
|8||Remarks||Aerodrome available for use by national civil air traffic with MLA only.|
Following changes in the Aviation Act, the Stadskanaal MLA airfield applied for an Aerodrome designation in 2013, which was formally approved in 2016. Since then also aircraft up to 890 kg (1962 lbs) were permitted to use the airfield.
08 DEC 2016
EHST — STADSKANAAL
|7||Types of traffic permitted (IFR/VFR)||VFR|
Not having visited Stadskanaal aerodrome before from the air, and after receiving permission from Stadskanaal for the visit, it was nice to hire a Cessna 150 based at Hilversum airfield to visit Stadskanaal airfield. The Cessna 150, having a MTOW of only 1600 lbs, easily falls within the approved conditions for the use of Stadskanaal airfield.
COVID-19: FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS.
AD PPR DUE TO THE COVID-19 OUTBREAK.
CONTACT AD AUTHORITIES VIA TEL.
On Saturday morning 11:10am the flight to Stadskanaal started. The take-off was from runway 07, and the route was more or less direct to Stadskanaal, with a few gentle curves to avoid the Lelystad CTR and to fly-by a few points of interest along the route. Of course, the parks were all closed because of the coronavirus outbreak.
Dolfinarium is a theme park with a collection of marine mammals. There are shows and demonstrations with sea lions, walruses and of dolphins every day. The underwater world of Dolfinarium makes it possible to see the sea lions, dolphins, seals and walruses. Another part of the park is designed to present other water creatures, such as crabs, lobsters, rays, oysters, shrimps and all sorts of fish.
En-route in a Cessna 150
Dolfinarium in Harderwijk
The old centre of the Hanseatic town of Elburg is no larger than 250 by 350 metres, but the list of monuments and historic buildings in this town is impressive and it's surrounded by moats, earthworks and city wall remains.
Although Genemuiden already received city rights in 1275, there are hardly any buildings from before the late 19th century in the ancient town. Major city fires have plagued Genemuiden several times over the centuries. Genemuiden is on the north-eastern tip of the Dutch Bible Belt. There are 5 reformed Protestant denominations and no Roman Catholic church. The largest church in Genemuiden is the Jachin and Boaz church (see the picture of Genemuiden; bottom-left).
Meppel flourished in the 16th century because of the peat excavations in the Northern Netherlands. The city was an important transit port because of the connecting canal systems to Assen and Hoogeveen one side, and to the Zuiderzee on the other side. Along this route, peat was exported from all over Drenthe to the west of the country.
The Dwingeloo Radio Telescope, commissioned in 1956, is one of the oldest radio telescopes in the world. The Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy (ASTRON) used the radio telescope for scientific research of the Sun and the Milky Way until 1998. Enthusiastic radio amateurs were able to give the Dwingeloo Radio Telescope a second life. In 2007 they started to renovate and use the telescope again. In 2009, the radio telescope has been designated as a national monument
Former Dwingeloo Radio Observatory
The hunebedden are an emblem of the province of Drenthe. They were created by peasant tribes 5000 years ago. The Hunebed Centre is in the village of Borger, in the Hondsrug region, and stands near the biggest remaining hunebed in the Netherlands.
The LOFAR (Low Frequency Array) core, or
superterp, near Exloo is part of a large radio telescope network located mainly in the Netherlands, completed in 2012 by the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy (ASTRON) and its international partners, and operated by ASTRON's radio observatory.
(More about the Hunebed Centre and LOFAR in this trip report from last year)
Hunebed centre Borger
LOFAR sensor network core
From the LOFAR core the route was further in between the 1e Exloërmond and Nieuw-Buinen towns to the Whiskey point of Stadskanaal airfield. This flight joined the right hand traffic circuit to land on runway 06.
Final runway 06 Stadskanaal
The Cessna 150 at Stadskanaal airfield
From Stadskanaal to Hilversum
After a short stop – the restaurant was closed and the coffee from the machine was discouraged – it was time to return to Hilversum. Take-off was from runway 06, and after leaving the traffic circuit and passing Musselkanaal, the first point to have a closer look at was the forestry Odoorn.
Airfield reporting office and restaurant
Departure runway 06 Stadskanaal airfield
In the forestry Odoorn is a lookout tower with the name Poolshoogte. At the start of the 1970s we had our holidays on a camping in the forestry Odoorn, and we climbed the old lookout-tower to the first level several times. The top with a lookout cabin for the forester was closed to the public.
Zwartsluis is a small town in the Dutch province of Overijssel. Up to the 19th century the economic activities were almost entirely connected to peat and transit. In Zwartsluis, the peat was transferred to larger ships that sailed up to the Zuiderzee or IJssel. Shipyards, sailmakers and mastmakers arose. Nowadays, the port is mainly used by recreational boats, and there are shipyards. We once visited Zwartsluis by boat from Lelystad for maintenance. It took a long time because on the way to Zwartsluis we experienced problems with the shaft to the propeller, and an engineer had to come along before we could move on. But it was a fun trip nevertheless.
Poolshoogte hill with lookout tower, Odoorn
The Poolshoogte is a hill with a watchtower in the forestry Odoorn. In 1934, a viewing hill of approximately 13 meters high was constructed. At the top of the hill, the forester was able to keep a close eye on the young forest and the surrounding area. In 1968, the young plantings had grown to such an extent that the view from the hill was obstructed by the trees. In order to be able to keep a close eye on the surroundings and to identify possible forest fires, a tower was built on top of the hill. This tower was a former tower of the Oil Company Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij (NAM). The forest-fire lookout tower lost its function in 1999 and was replaced in 2000 by a new 18-meter high viewing tower that is open to the public.
Kampens's historic centre contains numerous medieval monuments, including towers, gates and houses. One of the town's most distinctive features is the bridge that connects IJsselmuiden and Kampen over the IJssel. The middle section of the bridge can be lifted to allow large boats to pass.
Over Flevoland there are flower fields to be seen around April. The tulip is still the most popular bulb by far. Almost half of the bulb fields bring forth tulips. Flowers and flower bulbs are on the top of the list with Dutch agricultural exports.
City bridge from Kampen to IJsselmuiden
Growing flower bulbs in Flevoland
Walibi Holland is a theme park in Flevoland. Originally it was an educational themepark about agriculture and farming. At that time we went there with school trips. After the old park Flevohof went bankrupt in 1993, it was purchased by the Walibi Group, who redeveloped the site as an amusement park.
Harderwijk is an old trading town that was part of the Hanseatic League and lies on the shore of what used to be the Zuiderzee. Its economy was strongly based on fishing and seafaring in general. Although Harderwijk's port functions have greatly diminished following the creation of the opposite Flevoland polders and the IJsselmeer lake, tourism has been a successful substitute.
Walibi Holland, Flevoland
The Arkemheense polder is one of the oldest polders in the Netherlands. The Hertog Reijnout Steam Pumping Station, or Steam Pumping Station Arkemheen, was built in the 1880s to replace a windmill that was used to drain the polder. The pumping station is open to the public and there is a visitors' centre in the old coal shed.
Bunschoten and Spakenburg are two merged towns. Spakenburg is a former fishing village on the former Zuiderzee. The centre of Spakenburg is located around the old museum harbour. There are several monumental buildings, such as the former fish auction and the fish smokehouse. On Sundays the shops and terraces are closed.
Steam Pumping Station Arkemheen
Hertog Reijnout Steam Pumping Station
The Arkemheense polder is one of the oldest polders in the Netherlands, and for one hundred years, the Hertog Reijnout Steam Pumping Station was responsible for draining it. Even now, the coal-powered steam pumping station is called on to help out when water levels are extreme. The pumping station is open to the public and there is a visitors' centre in the old coal shed.
Rising sea levels
In 1356, Duke Reinoud III of Guelders granted the inhabitants living in the Arkemheense polder the right to build dikes. This was no extravagance, because the rising sea levels were having an increasing effect on the Arkemheense polder. In 1825, the coast along the Zuiderzee from Amersfoort to Friesland was plagued by breached dikes and flooding. It was not until the large dike, the Afsluitdijk, was built and the Zuiderzee was turned into the IJsselmeer Lake so that the danger of serious flooding subsided.
For centuries, the water level in the polder was controlled using floodgates that were closed when the Zuiderzee was at high tide. Excess water was drained off through a sluice. This old water drainage system was in urgent need of improvement. There was already talk, in 1820, about using a windmill for drainage, but it took until 1863 for the mill to be built. It was named Hertog Reijnout after the duke who issued the right to build dikes here in the 14th century.
Twenty years later, in 1883, the windmill was replaced by a steam pumping engine. The old windmill was converted into a home for the pumping station´s operator. The steam engine came from the company Backer & Rueb in Breda. The pumping engine has two scoop wheels and can drain an area of 3000 hectares. It was in proud service for exactly one hundred years. Then, in 1983, drainage was taken over by an electric pumping engine. Since its restoration, the steam pumping engine has been on view for the public and is stoked about 12 times every year, occasionally helping out when the electric pumping engine cannot handle the capacity on its own.
Eemdijk is a small vilage along the small river Eems that flows from Amersfoort to the IJsselmeer. The ferry was just on the Eemnes side of the river. Upon approaching Hilversum to land on runway 07, it just had started to drizzle. After landing it was time to return home.
Ferry to Eemnes at Eemdijk
Hilversum airfield in drizzle