Trips / Mittelland Canal
From Paderborn-Lippstadt to Teuge The weather outlook for the weekend of March 12, 2017 and the beginning of the week to follow was quite good. As it is more and more difficult to rent a nice travel plane in The Netherlands, even for little trips René falls back to the aeroclub at Paderborn-Lippstadt airport. On Saturday morning Maurits and René drove to Paderborn-Lippstadt to pick-up the booked Cessna 182. On the way up, René called Hilversum airfield. The airport was PPR due to wet condition of the grass airfield. Only local flights with light airplanes were approved, so we decided to fly to Teuge instead. René contacted Goof if he had room in his hangar for two nights, and told René that it would be possible to put the plane in an hangar at Teuge. When we arrived at Paderborn-Lippstadt, we checked and fueled the plane. We taxied to runway 06, and then departed to the north. We first flew to Minden, and from there we followed the Mittelland Canal to Rheine. From there we flew direct to Teuge, where we landed on runway 08.
Cessna 182 at Paderborn-Lippstadt airport
Gorge Wiehen Hills at Porta Westfalica
Intersection Mittelland Canal/River Weser
Mittelland Canal to the west
Branch Mittelland Canal to Osnabrück
Mittelland Canal and Dortmund-Ems Canal
Final runway 08 Teuge airport
René and Maurits at Teuge airport
Maurits closing hangar doors
Cessna 182 in the hangar
With a length of 326 kilometres, the Mittelland Canal is the longest artificial waterway in Germany. It forms an important link in the waterway network of Germany, providing the principal east-west inland waterway connection. Its significance goes beyond Germany as it links France, Switzerland and the Benelux countries with Poland, the Czech Republic and the Baltic Sea.
Old Minden Aqueduct
Construction of the Mittelland Canal was started in 1906, starting near Rheine on the Dortmund-Ems Canal. The section to Minden on the Weser was opened in February 1915 and was initially named Ems-Weser-Kanal. At Minden the canal crosses the river Weser over two aqueducts (the second completed in 1998), and near Magdeburg it crosses the Elbe, also with an aqueduct.
Magdeburg Water Bridge
The section from Minden to Hanover was finished in the autumn of 1916. The section to Sehnde was completed in 1928, Peine was reached in 1929, and Braunschweig in 1933. The final section to Magdeburg was opened in 1938. After the reunification of Germany, the project to bridge the Elbe was started, and the resulting Magdeburg Water Bridge opened in 2003, providing a direct link to the Elbe-Havel Canal.
From Teuge to Rechlin-Lärz On Monday morning René decided to visit the Luftfahrttechnischen Museum Rechlin. René had visited Rechlin before in 2011, but had not yet visited the museum at the former Luftwaffe test centre. René had agreed with Goof to call him to open the hangar, and then also asked Goof he would be interested to join for a flight to Rechlin. Goof agreed, and after fueling the plane we took-off from runway 28 to Lärz airport in the east of Germany. At Rechlin, we first circled the former Rechlin airfield before we landed at Lärz airport runway 07. From there we took a taxi to the museum.
C182 at Teuge airport
Goof and René
Former Rechlin and Roggentin airfields
René at Lärz airport
Goof and operator at Lärz airport
Rechlin-Lärz is a former military airfield with a long history. Construction of the first airfield at Rechlin started in 1916. The airfield was officially opened on 29 August 1918. After the end of World War I, the airfield was closed again and many of its installations dismantled. During the 1920s, the airfield was reopened as a civilian airbase, but it was soon used as a testing ground for the secret German air force experiments.
Dornier Do335 "Pfeil"
In 1935, the Rechlin airfield became the official testing ground of the newly formed Luftwaffe. The airfield was expanded by constructing two more airfields: one just east of the main site (Roggenthin) and one just south of the main site (Lärz), which became the modern 21st century airfield site. After several Allied bombing runs on the Rechlin and Roggenthin airfields in 1944, testing of late-war planes was shifted just southwards to Lärz.
Mig 27s at Rechlin-Lärz
On April 10, 1945, a final bomber attack by the US Army Air Forces almost completely destroyed the airfields. What was left was blown up by the German garrison before Soviet troops arrived at Rechlin on May 2. In 1946, the Soviet Air Force established a permanent presence at the airbase. Military usage of the airfields continued until 1993, when the last Russian air force units were moved home. The Rechlin airfield was reopened for civilian use in 1994.(More about the history of Rechlin-Lärz at this page)
The Luftfahrttechnisches Museum Rechlin is located in the historic building complex of the Luftwaffe of the Third Reich - Group North. These buildings were used by the Soviet forces in Germany after 1945 and were released with their withdrawal in March 1993. On August 1, 1998, the Luftfahrttechnisches Museum Rechlin opened its doors for visitors. the museum continues to develop it's representation of the history of Rechlin and its surroundings. Luftfahrttechnisches Museum Rechlin
Sights of the Luftfahrttechnisches Museum Rechlin
From Rechlin-Lärz to Paderborn-Lippstadt After we visited the museum, we took a taxi back to Lärz airport. We flew direct to Paderborn-Lippstadt, where we made a straight-in approach to runway 24. After parking the plane in the hangar, we drove back to Teuge. After good-bye René drove home.
Panel of the Cessna 182
Arrived at Paderborn-Lippstadt
Finishing the paperwork
Links Erbrobungsstelle Rechlin
The Third Reich era's Luftwaffe main testing ground Trip report to Peenemünde, Rechlin-Lärz and Uelzen, 19 April 2011