North Weald airfield
North Weald Airfield is a famous Battle of Britain fighter base. The airfield was established in the summer of 1916 during the First World War by the Royal Flying Corps, and played an important part in the air defence strategy of the United Kingdom during the Second World War. Initially Hawker Hurricanes were deployed at the airfield, alongside Bristol Blenheim night fighters. The Blenheim stood little chance against the German Messerschmitt Bf 109 during daylight operations. In 1940, two American Eagle Squadrons moved into North Weald supplied with Spitfires. After the Battle of Britain, the Spitfire became the backbone of RAF Fighter Command. A couple of years later, Norwegian squadrons were re-assigned to the airfield, also equipped with Spitfires. After the war, jet fighter squadrons with Gloster Meteors and de Havilland Vampire fighters were based at North Weald from 1949. In 1964, the RAF withdrew from the airfield completely. In 1979, North Weald was sold to the local government. The airfield also has a museum about the service personnel and civilians, who have lived, worked, flown, fought and died at North Weald since the airfield opened in 1916.North Weald Airfield Museum
From Lelystad to Southend
From Southend to North Weald North Weald airfield was a fighter station during the Battle of Britain, when it was known as the RAF Station RAF North Weald.
From North Weald to Lelystad